What do I need to bring with me in order to obtain a marriage license?

Recorder of Deeds: In order to obtain a marriage license you will need to bring with you: $55 cash, your social security card, and your driver’s license.

Can I get a name changed on a document?

Recorder of Deeds: No, all title work must come from either a title company or an attorney.

When are assessment sheets sent and when are they due?

Assessor’s Office: Assessment sheets are sent out on January 1st of each calendar year and are due back March 1st of the same year.

What do I do if I didn’t receive an assessment sheet?

Assessor’s Office: Call the Assessor’s office and request one.

What do I need to license my vehicle if I just moved here from out of state?

-License Bureau:

  1. Birth certificate or passport. Your birth certificate has to be original, it cannot be a copy
  2. Social security number
  3. Driver’s License
  4. Proof of address – this may be government issued or a utility bill, bank statement, or rental or mortgage agreement.

When can I take my drivers test?

License Bureau: Drivers tests are held in the Family Services Office in Hamilton on the 2nd and 4th Friday of every month from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., closing for lunch from 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. In Chillicothe, they are held every Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday.

Can I obtain a copy of my paid personal property or real estate tax receipt?

Collector/Treasurer: Yes. There is a dollar fee per each paid tax receipt that you wish to obtain and an additional one dollar fee if you wish for it to be faxed.

Can the Collector/Treasurer fax a copy of a paid tax receipt to the License Bureau?

Collector/Treasurer: Yes. There is a one dollar fee for the faxing and a dollar fee per each receipt to be faxed.

When is the back taxes sale?

Collector/Treasurer: The back taxes sale is held on the 4th Monday in August at 10:00 a.m. every year on the courthouse steps.

When is my property at risk for being included in the back taxes sale?

Collector/Treasurer: In Caldwell County, when your property taxes are three years delinquent.

Can I pay a current year’s taxes if I am delinquent on past years’ taxes?

Collector/Treasurer: No. Taxes must be paid starting with the oldest first and working towards the most current.

If I recently got a divorce, can the Collector/Treasurer Office divide the property and values up on the property tax bill between both parties according to which party received which piece of property?

Collector/Treasurer: Not if you were still married on January 1st of the year in question.

What do I need in order to register to vote?

County Clerk: You must have proof of residency (a current driver’s license, or a piece of mail with current address) and the last four digits of your social security number.